The Shapeshifter Body Redesign Program is a plug-and-play, follow-along bodyweight training program that integrates a broad range of workout, diet, and lifestyle training methods into one comprehensive system to help you transform your body in six weeks.
Note: be sure not to miss the Free Prize Giveaway – see below for details!
So, last month, I wrote up a glowing review of Scott Sonnon’s TACGYM program. Loved everything about it. Fantastic program through and through. Then a couple weeks ago, Ryan Murdock and Adam Steer (known online as the “bodyweight coaches” and whom I’ve interviewed before) send me a copy of their Shapeshifter Body Redesign Program – another superb product that I’ve been looking forward to since last year. And now I hear that Shane Heins is coming out with another clubbell training program this summer. Ay yie yie! It’s hard to keep up with these guys.
Anyways, over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been taking a close look at everything in the Shapeshifter Program. And you know me. I’m critical, and I’ll be brutally honest about what I think – even if it hurts. Fortunately for them, I have mostly good things to say!
There’s a lot of buzz surrounding this program, and there are a lot of people hyping it up. So, I’m just going to cut the fluff and tell you like it is. If you want to know exactly what you get, the product-related pro’s and con’s, and who it’s best suited for (and not best suited for), then continue reading.
So, what is the Shapeshifter Program?
Well, for starters, it’s a digital (ie downloadable) equipment-free, bodyweight exercise program that is meant to help you favorably change the shape of your body over the course of 6 weeks or longer. Shapeshifter will help you lose fat, build muscle, and create a beautiful physique using workouts that can be done anywhere, anytime. But this is so much more than just a workout program. It’s comprised of three major elements: training workouts, diet methods, and lifestyle strategies. When you combine all three of these elements together, you create a powerful synergistic effect to help you transform your body. The power comes from the integration of each element towards a common goal. Every good coach understands this process.
Sure, you can make good progress by starting a workout program, and every diet will help you lose weight for at least a few weeks (even a poor diet). But when you combine a well-rounded training program with a goal-targeted diet, and supercharge that combination with a blend of carefully-chosen lifestyle strategies, you have a formula for major success. People who have dieted in the past without training (or vice versa) will notice a big difference in their results when they start to integrate both strategies together. And that’s exactly what the Shapeshifter Program does.
So, in terms of what you’ll actually get when you buy, the package will include things like: exercise tutorial videos and manuals, follow-along videos, warmup and cooldown videos, detailed performance tips, progress tracking guides, simple diet and lifestyle coaching in the form of articles and videos (including some guest articles from topic experts), and many other things. There are far too many to list here, so you’ll just have to read the sales page to cover it all.
On top of all the program materials themselves, you’ll also get access to an entire community of people who are using the program together – one of the greatest aspects of this product. To truly change your body and your life, accountability will be a huge asset for your success, especially if family, friends, and co-workers aren’t very supportive of your goals. The social support is contagious in a community like this, and will help motivate you to stick with the program.
What Makes The Shapeshifter Program Unique
Before I even get to the Pro’s and Con’s, I want to mention one of the finest aspects of the Shapeshifter Program. Shapeshifter takes plug-and-play to a whole new level. This is one major advantage that this product has over others in terms of content delivery.
Adam and Ryan understand that true body transformation is very tough to accomplish – especially long-term. It takes a lot of hard work and commitment because it requires that you change your habits and behavior over a period of weeks, months, and even years. So, rather than just sell you a stock workout program and leave you in the dark once they’ve got your cash, they’ve created a powerful follow-up system that will kick-start you into action on a daily basis. Yep. Every. Single. Day.
It’s true that a lot of recent training programs are plug-and-play. Honestly though, compared to what I’ve seen so far, this goes beyond plug-and-play. This is “take you by the hand, and do exactly as I tell you” plug-and-play. Ryan and Adam have gone the extra mile to make sure everyone who purchases this program has absolutely no excuse not to succeed. Everything is outlined for you in advance, and there is no stone left unturned.
One of the positive side-effects of a plug-and-play program like this is that it’s action-oriented. This is especially great because the ultimate goal in making a purchase like this is to change something about yourself – and that requires massive action-taking. We know that any diet or workout program will work for at least a few weeks because action always trumps perfection (even a poor program will produce some results initially). Shapeshifter will provide not only the action steps needed, but focused action items that will help move you towards your physique goals as fast as possible.
This is like the ultimate quick-start guide for pursuing your physique goals on the fast track.
Shapeshifter Program Pro’s
There are a lot of things that I like about this program, and I’ve picked 10 of them to focus on in this review.
1) No equipment required – A huge advantage that Shapeshifter has over many other body transformation programs is that it requires zero equipment – meaning you need absolutely nothing else to get started and you can do the workouts anywhere, and anytime. You don’t need a gym membership or an expensive home gym to complete the Shapeshifter program. In fact, most of the workouts can be done in the space that two yoga mats would take up on the ground.
2) Short, but intense workouts that fit all but the busiest schedules – Most of the workouts can be completed in about 20-30 minutes, making them very time efficient and workable for almost anyone regardless of schedule or time availability.
3) Holistic workout program – There are six elements incorporated into the actual exercise program: cardioflow, 3D strength training, afterburners, neuroboost sessions, Shapeshifter stack, and Shapeshifter regen. So, this is not just a strength training + cardio program, but a holistic approach for physique development using some of the most effective training methods Adam and Ryan have come across in their combined experience. Please note that these methods are based on timeless principles – no voodoo or program design magic at work. There’s nothing new under the sun here, just repackaged and reorganized in a new way for this particular system (with fancy, updated names).
4) Recovery techniques are built-in to the curriculum – Part of the holistic nature of the workout program is that recovery techniques are included in the system itself. So, you’re not just sent off to enjoy a rest day (aka off day) a few times a week, but you actually do some physical training every day (I love it!). When you don’t have a challenging strength training session, you’ll spend some time on active recovery to speed up your progress. Not only that, but there are within-workout recovery techniques included as well. These advanced training strategies are invaluable to anyone who intends on getting the most out of the entire six week program.
5) The entire program is Plug + Play – I know I mentioned this above, but I wanted to reiterate that there is no guesswork involved with the Shapeshifter Program. You just follow the daily instructions and do the work when you’re supposed to. No need to figure anything out or customize your program. It’s action-oriented.
6) Holistic body transformation approach – As I alluded to before, this isn’t just a workout program, but a complete lifestyle design program. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Each element works with the next to help maximize the potential progress your body can achieve in six weeks time. It’s quite the departure from most traditional workout programs in this regard.
7) The program is structured yet flexible – Shapeshifter is very structured. It tells you exactly what to do every single day. Although, there is a little bit of room for flexibility, and there are even some alternative activity suggestions included in the program itself. So, you don’t necessarily have to give up your current physical activity routine to follow Shapeshifter.
8) Great for both beginners and seasoned trainee’s – You don’t need to be familiar with dieting, fitness training, or anything else related to them to start the Shapeshifter program. Everything is laid out for you already and it was created with the beginner in mind. That said, even athletes and seasoned fitness trainee’s will find value in the Shapeshifter Program for off-season training purposes or low-tech training options.
9) Hollywood-quality video production – Adam and Ryan pulled out all the stops, including hiring a professional film crew for all of their video production and editing. Not only is the content superb, but also the presentation. This not only makes it easier to follow the program, but also instills a confidence in its effectiveness.
10) High value for your money – For less than the cost of a single personal training session, you get a complete system to help you transform your body over six weeks. There is a LOT of material included in the program. They could easily charge hundreds of dollars for this, but they wanted to make this accessible to as many people as possible. So, if you’re shopping around based on value, this is definitely a viable option.
I could go on, but I hope you get the idea by now. This is well-beyond most other fitness training programs available online.
Shapeshifter Program Con’s
Overall, I don’t have any major complaints. The program will do what it claims. These are just some things you might want to know before you buy.
I would have liked to hear more from Adam and Ryan themselves – A lot of the non-training content was actually contributed from guest experts (many of whom I recognized – so, they’re not all a bunch of quacks!). While I would have preferred otherwise, I think I understand why they did this. Adam and Ryan consider themselves body transformation experts with a specialty in fitness training. I’m sure they deferred to others with more expertise in areas they are familiar with, but not comfortable taking an expert position in. Not a big deal because I think the training program alone is worth the cost of the whole program.
Some of the diet advice is controversial – I’ve found that the majority of the time, advice from the Shapeshifter is pretty solid – especially when it comes to physical training. Although, there were definitely some red flags when I was reading through some of the lifestyle, and in particular, the dieting methods. I won’t go over specifics, because I think that overall, the big picture will overshadow the minor grievances I have. This program will work even if some of the methods aren’t 100% agreed upon in fitness circles. Shapeshifter is centered around taking action on your physical goals every single day, and serves as a wonderful starting point for people ready to begin a new, healthier lifestyle. Don’t worry, the majority of what they’re teaching is agreed upon across the board. I just can’t fully endorse everything contained in the package. You can work out the specifics later (after you’ve transformed your body in 6 weeks).
Some of the materials are repackaged with new titles – You definitely see the influence of Circular Strength Training (CST) in the Shapeshifter Program. For example, many of the exercises have their roots in CST, just with different names. Also, the main training modalities are also spin-off’s from other well-known training methods (e.g. HIIT, joint mobility training, etc.). So, there isn’t a lot of newness here, except in the way it has been positioned and programmed (which is original). So, this is NOT an encyclopedia filled with new exercises and transformation strategies. Again, no biggie, but something you might want to know before you buy.
Some of the diet and lifestyle material was vague – Again, not a large mark off because this is an action-oriented program. But if you’re looking for a comprehensive dieting program that will answer all your nutrition questions, then look elsewhere. I see this program as a way of getting on the right track with the diet and lifestyle components, while following a masterfully-crafted training program. Diet and lifestyle refinement can come later once you have the basics mastered.
I found a couple of bugs with their software and occasional typographical errors – Tech problems are inevitable, and with a project this large, so are typo’s. So this isn’t a big mark off. It just comes with the territory, but it’s good to know before you buy. Lucky for you, there’s a section in the “Community Hub” where you can alert the support team about tech-related issues.
One last note: I have not seen the sales page prior to writing this review. So, I’m not in the know about what kind of claims Adam and Ryan are making about the results you’ll experience from using the program (if they’re claiming anything at all). I have seen some of the pre-launch marketing materials, and wanted to make sure you are aware of something that came to mind. But before I say anything else, I’ve known both Ryan and Adam and have considered them my coaches for the past few years. In that time, they have both seemed like down-to-earth, honest guys that I’ve enjoyed getting to know (they’re quite the characters!), and there’s no reason for me to believe they’d make an outrageous claim or try to trick anyone. That said, I want to make sure I cover my butt when I tell you that I think spot reduction is a myth, and that genetics and basic physiology overshadows any attempt to “shape” your body a certain way. I think Shapeshifter can help anyone improve the appearance of their physique, but it won’t change your body type and won’t morph you into a superhero in only 6 weeks. Maybe I’m being presumptuous, but I wanted to speak up anyways. That is all.
A Final Word on Quality, Professionalism, and Value
Ryan and Adam have really raised the bar with their Shapeshifter Program (there’s been a lot of that lately, eh?). The complete package, from all its major components to the nitty-gritty details, is professionally done through-and-through.
To put it bluntly, the Shapeshifter Program makes competing products look like high school science projects that were thrown together the night before. It doesn’t take long to realize that a ton of time, thought, effort, and a significant financial investment went into this project. The fact that you can get the entire system for less than the cost of a single personal training session is astounding.
These guys have released fitness products before – most of which I didn’t bother reviewing, but this time was different. They set out to do it right, and to make a powerful impression – and they have. I think there’s still room for growth and development, but that doesn’t change the fact that the value of the Shapeshifter program is remarkable and the quality of its presentation is top-notch. On top of that, the content-delivery system is unparalleled in our industry (at least from what I’ve seen) and sets a new standard for those who are constantly striving to make fitness info more accessible to the public. Well done, guys!
Who is Shapeshifter best-suited for?
That’s an easy one. If you are willing to work hard to burn fat and build lean muscle to reshape your body, and you want to be told exactly what to do every single day, then the Shapeshifter Program is for you. I know that’s broad and encompasses a lot of people. So, to be a bit more specific…
I think it’s absolutely perfect for beginner’s or people who have been on a diet or workout program without much success before. If you’re looking for a jump-start in your health, fitness, and physique, then this is about as good as it gets. Also, those with fat loss goals will be especially well-served from this program. But honestly, I think almost anyone with a remote interest in fitness would enjoy this program. Yep, even you gym-goers, bodybuilders, and strength athletes.
Pick up your copy at the link below (Note: I highly recommend you purchase it with the Mega-Pack bonus):
Click Here to Claim Your FREE Gifts When You Order Shapeshifter*
(51% discount + additional bonuses until midnight on 6/24/11)
*Don’t miss out on the launch week 51% discount and special bonuses – expiring 6/24/2011 at midnight EST!
**If you order through my referral link, please send me a copy of your receipt and I’ll send you a free gift: The Quad-Wheel Switch Exercise Coaching Video (12 minute instructional video in WMV format). This exercise is great for strengthening the muscles surrounding the shoulder and upper back, and especially for improving your posture (which, I might add, does wonders for your shape – nyuk nyuk nyuk!). After you’ve placed your order through my referral link, just forward your confirmation email containing your receipt to physical (dot) living [at] gmail (dot) com and I’ll reply with your free gift. Thank you for supporting PhysicalLiving.com with your purchase!
Prize Giveaway Contest – Leave A Comment To Win Free Fitness Stuff
Note: the contest is now over.
I know that a LOT of people are looking for a product exactly like this one, and I want to share it with as many people as possible during this launch – even more people than I could do alone. So, I need your help, and I’ve setup a little contest to get the word out there. See below for a “couldn’t-get-any-easier” way to enter a free contest to win some cool fitness prizes. Keep in mind that this is a fairly small blog, and there are pretty good odds of winning something compared to most other contests. Good luck!
How to Enter
Step 1: Leave a comment below explaining what body redesign means to you. You can talk about the topic in general, or about any other number of things related to body transformation. Perhaps you’ve done a successful transformation in the past, or tried and failed. Just share some of your experience. There’s no right or wrong answer.
Step 2: Share or Tweet this post using one of the button’s below (optional).
Grand Prize: (1) “Gym In A Bag” all-in-one Portable Workout System valued at $119.95 (medium size – see the official site here for more info). One person will win a Gym in a Bag, which is a great addition to one of the Shapeshifter Bonus Programs and will integrate seamlessly with the rest of the system. Grand prize winner will also receive a copy of the Quad-Wheel Switch Exercise Video.
Runner-Up Prizes: At least (5) people will win an exclusive coaching video teaching the Quad-Wheel Switch Exercise, which is particularly effective for improving your posture by strengthening the musculature surrounding the shoulders and upper back.
*How to increase your chance for winning: For every 50 Facebook Share’s or Twitter Tweet’s that this post receives (according to the stat counter embedded in this post’s share/tweet button’s), I’ll bump the number of runner-up prizes by another 5. In other words, 100 shares/tweets will award 10 people the runner-up prize. 200 share’s tweet’s will award 20 people, etc. There will only be 1 grand prize winner, however.
CST, CST-KS, NSCA-CPT
Health-First Fitness Coach
Prize Giveaway Rules (Terms and Conditions): No purchase is required to enter the prize giveaway mini-contest. You must be 18 years or older to enter. This contest is subject to state and federal laws and is void where prohibited. Entries must be provided by posting a comment in the blog comments section below. You must include your name (including your first name and last name or initial) and a valid email address. Entries must be received by Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 at 11:59 PM EST to be eligible for prizes. Winners will be contacted by email on or after Friday, June 24th, 2011. Grand prize winner will need to provide a USA postal address to redeem Gym-in-a-Bag prize (medium size).